Saturday, February 16, 2013

40 Bags: Befores and Afters

I have boys. They have shoes. Lots of shoes.Trying to keep them from stacking their shoes in front of the door has been an ongoing problem ... my husband is and continues to be the worst offender. I tried the shelf. This is what it usually looks like:

I decided to purge shoes that no one ever wears (even if they INSIST they'll wear them). If they haven't  worn them in 6 months (unless they're flip-flops), they're not going to wear them. I do ask them before I donate or toss. Got rid of one bag and moved the sports equipment to the garage (where it belongs).
After:

I was on a roll, so next I conquered the mudroom. Got rid of three bags (one trash) in this room. It didn't take me as long as last year (maybe because it was a bit more organized even though it doesn't look like it in the before photo).
Before:

After:


I'm pretty bad when it comes to hoarding saving magazines. I decided to go through them and ended up getting rid of and recycling at least 35! As an editor, magazines are my business and I do use them to garner ideas for stories and layout, however, I think I have enough...what do you think? (Um, this is after I got rid of 35 and I'm not showing the other bookshelf that is stacked full.)  Maybe I need to "edit" my collection a bit more.


So, it's been 4 days since I started by 40 bags in 40 days and I'm up to 7 bags and 1 box. All is good.

3 comments:

Ali Richardson said...

Awesome!! I need to do this!!

Beth said...

OK, so you are a master at organizing shoes. I need your help! Hope your February is as lovely as it is productive.

Jamie said...

Yay for organization! and the magazines are beautiful on the shelf like that. Boo for the Steelers!!! :o)