Friday, April 20, 2012

Loud Music and Chemical Reactions

Last night I was invited at the last minute to a concert. My friend's husband was too tired to go and she had an extra ticket to see Portugal. The Man. 
Great band. Great time. I even liked the warm up band, The Lonely Forest (I attached a link to their music at the end of this post just in case you never heard them.
 So, any chemists out there? I was priming some things so I could paint them with acrylic or chalk paint and an interesting thing happened to a little metal candle holder I painted. I fully intended to paint it off white, but as soon as the primer hit it, it turned pink, and I mean pink. I know it's some sort of chemical reaction, but have no clue what type of metal it is...except it was brown before I painted it. Never had this occur before, have you guys?
So, I'm gearing up for a one day craft fair next week. All you locals...visit me at Big Vanilla next Wednesday from 7 to 9AM or 4 to 7PM...I'll be selling lots from my shop at special prices. And, maybe I'll include this pretty pink candle holder!

Enjoy the music:


2 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

i am no chemist but i would say you have two options... paint it pink, or paint it black!

Unknown said...

I love it the way it is! It is a reaction of the metal to the paint (maybe a weird kind of oxidation?) but I really have nothing helpful to contribute! lol