Monday, February 20, 2012

Speaking of books

I belong to a wonderful bookclub. We have been meeting for over 17 years. It didn’t start as a book club, though. When I moved to Maryland over 22 years ago, I was looking for a way to become involved in my new community beyond work. After I had my first son, I became involved in a project, which is now known as The Chesapeake Children’s Museum. It was just an idea when a small group of women and men met in a church hall so many years ago. It was so exciting to work on a project from the ground up and see it grow and flourish. 

The women I worked with became dear friends and we decided to meet once a month for a girl’s night out. After a few months, we decided we needed a more legitimate reason to meet (really?) and our book club was born. We have seen many people come and go, but the core group is still meeting.

Our book club not only meets every month to discuss books, we also host a few fun events such as a Souper Bowl – everyone meets and makes soup, an annual field trip to the Shakespeare or Folgers Theater in Washington, DC, annual cookie exchange, and other trips to concerts and such. At the beginning of each year, we nominate and vote on books. 


So, just in case you want a few books to read, here is our list for this year (I'll save you the descriptions or this would be 10 pages long!)

Nothing Daunted by Dorothy Wickenden 
The Bridal Wreath (Kristine book 1) by Sigrid Undset
The Greater Journey by David McCullough  
Cooking with Fernet Branca by James Hamilton-Patterson 
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot 
Zookeeper’s Wife by Diane Ackerman
Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson
Triangle: The Fire that Changed America by David von Drehle 
Loving Frank by Nancy Horan  
City of Thieves by David Benioff   
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
Still Alice by Lisa Genova 
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Miki {Becoming What I Always Was} said...

I loved your last book post. I have been looking on ebay for a "lot of books", so I could use them all over my house. They're so fun!