I've been working on yet another huge order of switch plates...this time for a California beach house. My client purchased the switch plate below and wanted matching ones to go throughout the house.I talked her into a couple of different looks, so I am busy creating. In the mean time (and while I had the joint compound out), I tried working on a few other projects.
I used the scrap lumber above and a few of my findings to create these key holders (not quite finished yet, but you get the idea) below. I made one with a grayish background and the other with a white and ivory background.
To get the joint compound from that ugly gray to a slightly lighter gray and ivory, I mixed in acrylic paint to get the desired effect. Here's a site about the technique, http://www.surfaceswithpaint.com/plaster_finishes.htm (because I honestly tried to take photos and they just didn't work out). I just use the technique on a much smaller scale and tend to clump my plaster a little more so it looks very aged. I also rub a dry brush over it or glaze it so it catches and highlights the texture. Once I get the drill out, I'll secure the findings to the wood scraps and sell these in my etsy shop. But, right now I've got to finish this order.