Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Chalkboard Paint to the Rescue

Today I went wild with chalkboard paint. Ever since I found out that I can use it on glass, I've been itching to try it. The problem: rain or wind. Although we've had some picture perfect days here in Annapolis, they've always been accompanied by more than a gentle breeze...not good, unless you want a chalkboard car or house. So, when I got up for boot camp (see earlier posts) early this morning, I noticed that the stars were out and there was no wind. Perfect painting weather!



Once I got my little guy on the bus, my inner schoolteacher took over and I began taping the areas around the mirror and the cabinet door I planned on chalk painting. The mirror is an ongoing project. I changed it so many times that I don't have the original pictures anymore. It's been sitting in my garage because the actual mirror part is in bad shape, so once I found out that I could paint it with chalk, it came out of hiding again. So, anyway, I started taping it, however, since there was rope around the mirror (I was going for a nautical look), the tape wouldn't hold. Then, I got this brainstorm -- aluminum foil! It's flexible so I could form it around the rope. Then I used a butter knife to "tuck it in." Worked like a charm!
Here are the results -- sorry abut the pictures, but it was getting dark by the time I finished.


I went a little crazy and began painting other things, too. The dog is now completely erasable.
Linking to: 
freckled laundry

1 comment:

Cassie Bustamante said...

i just discovered that as well and just painted an old mirror that was all fogged up! oh the new possibilities!